Community Standards and Resources

Conduct & Community Standards

To support the core values and mission of the University of Idaho, the staff within Conduct & Community Standards strives to uphold a balance student accountability with education and grown in regard to the Student Code of Conduct.  If you need assistance with the Student Code of Conduct, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 208/885-6757.

Student Rights, Conduct, and Records

The "Statement of Student Rights," "Student Code of Conduct," and "Student Records Policy" are published in the Faculty-Staff Handbook and in the booklet entitled "Policies and Information of Interest to Students." The booklet is available from the Office of the Dean of Students (TLC 232), the Office of Academic Affairs (Admin 104), and other locations around the campus. Members of the university community are urged to familiarize themselves with these basic documents.

Child Care Services

UI Children’s Center, 421 Sweet Ave;

The UI Children’s Center offers childcare, early schooling, and after school programs for children from 6 weeks through 8 years of age. Accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs, the UI Children’s Center offers a safe and nurturing environment as well as programs which promote the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual development of young children. For more information, call 208-885-6414 or visit their website,

The Margaret Ritchie School of Family and Consumer Sciences Child Development Laboratory provides childcare opportunities for preschool children. Call 208-885-6332 for information.

Dean of Students

TLC 232; 208-885-6757;

The University of Idaho is comprised of a diverse student population that requires the UI to have a diverse student services program. The Dean of Students Office provides a variety of services that focus on assisting students. Programs and services include advising students in living groups, as well as those off campus, ethnic minority students, and veterans. In addition, the Dean of Students Office coordinates New Student Orientation, Women's Center, Child Care Center, National Student Exchange Program, student leadership activities, fraternity/sorority programs, and student discipline/conduct activities.

This wide range of programs and services includes assisting families and students who may experience crisis situations that disrupt normal academic activities.

Staff members are trained to work with individuals and groups of students, or serve as a liaison between students, departments, and agencies on and off campus.

All of the services and programs are supportive of the academic mission of UI and are an integral part of the student's total education at the university. Services offered by the Dean of Students Office are highlighted below.

Multicultural Affairs

Office of Multicultural Affairs; TLC. 230; 208-885-7716; fax: 208-885-9494;

UI is committed to establishing and maintaining a campus environment that promotes cultural diversity. This is accomplished through the provision of student services that begin to address specific needs of Asian-American/Pacific Islander, Black or African-American, Chicano/Latino, and Native-American students. While offering targeted services and programs to these populations, OMA is fundamentally a campus wide resource meant to benefit the educational experience of the entire campus community by leading in the creation of an environment that supports multiculturalism and promotes inclusion.

The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) provides assistance to these traditionally underrepresented students in the areas of advocacy, financial aid, and accessing university student support programs. OMA is staffed by a full time director, a program coordinator and an administrative assistant. Staff members are involved in campus wide leadership and state wide organizations to promote diversity. One important resource of these efforts is a group of student mentors selected to help new multicultural students connect with resources and learn from the experiences of more experienced U of I students. This mentor group is called P.A.C.E. (Peer Advising on the College Experience). OMA continuously works with other departments across the university to resolve issues that may hinder recruitment, retention or the success of multicultural students.

Multicultural student organizations serve a vital role in retention and helping to promote and support cultural diversity on the UI campus. Some of the organizations that are currently active are the Asian American/Pacific Islander Association (AAPIA), the Native American Student Association (NASA), The Native-American Graduate Student Association, Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority Inc., Iota Psi Phi Sorority Inc., Lambda Theta Alpha Sorority Inc,, the Interested Ladies of Lambda Theta Alpha, the University of Idaho’s Black Student Union (UI-BSU), Organizacion de Estudiantes Latino Americanos (OELA), MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanos de Aztlán), the Hispanic Business Association, Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity Inc., GSA (the Gay Straight Alliance), WOCA (Women of Color Alliance), the Men of Vision, the Hispanic Business Association (HBA), Sabor de la Raza, CAMPOS (the College Assistance Migrant Program Organization of Students), ALI (the Association of Latin-Americans and Iberians), ASA (African Students Association), the Associated Students of African Descent, and UNITY. OMA assists these and other organizations in planning and executing campus activities of special interest to their group's members (e.g., cultural heritage months, student leadership retreat, organizational meetings, and campus educational cultural activities). Many meetings of these student groups are held in the Multicultural Student Center, which is located in Rooms 228 and 229 of the Teaching and Learning Center (TLC). For further information contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs main office in room 230 of the Teaching and Learning Center at 208-885-7716 or e-mail To visit our web page visit

Violence Prevention Programs and Resource Services

Resource Specialists provide violence prevention and risk reduction programming for students, staff and faculty on campus. Services include crisis intervention and referrals for on-going campus/community resources. Individual students, student leaders, university administrators, and community medical/legal professionals collaborate with Resource Specialists to create and implement positive campus policy. Risk reduction educational programs are available to all students at no cost. For more information call 208-885-2956 or come visit us in the Teaching and Learning Center Room 232.

Women's Center

The Women's Center staff is committed to providing a welcoming environment and a sense of community for all. At the Women's Center, we foster personal and professional growth through a network of support and services including educational programming, gender equity issues, information, referrals, and outreach.

Programs and services at the Women's Center include: brown-bag lunchtime programs (presentations and discussions covering a variety of topics); library (a circulating library of over 1,500 books and journals, primarily comprised of research, information, and literature regarding gender issues; information and referral to other agencies and services); lounge (a place to relax, read, study, get acquainted with others, and exchange ideas); newsletter (a publication announcing current programs and services, and news about women's issues). The center also assists with nontraditional student services and programs. The Women’s Center is located in Room 109 of Memorial Gym.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students at the University of Idaho must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to receive federal student financial aid.  To meet SAP requirements, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA, complete a certain percentage of attempted credits, and complete a degree program before exceeding 150% of required credits.

The requirements to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress differ based on whether the student is in an undergraduate, graduate, or law degree program. The requirements can be found at

At a minimum, SAP will be reviewed at the end of each spring semester. Students not meeting the stated minimum requirements of SAP are no longer eligible to receive assistance under Title IV HEA programs. For purposes of evaluating satisfactory academic progress, the academic year is defined as summer, fall, and spring. Therefore, the summer performance prior to fall and spring will be included in the review.  Students receiving financial aid for the first time are considered to be in good academic standing until they reach the defined annual evaluation time for SAP. It should be noted the eligibility criteria for financial aid differ from those for academic eligibility contained in regulation L-6.

Undergraduate students wishing to appeal a suspension of financial aid should complete a Petition for Financial Aid Reinstatement Form and contact the Dean’s Office in the college in which they are enrolled. Graduate students should complete a Petition for Financial Aid Reinstatement before they contact the College of Graduate Studies, and law students should contact the College of Law. Any special circumstances concerning the student’s academic progress for student financial aid will be reviewed on an individual basis. The Director of Student Financial Aid Services may reinstate a student based on special circumstances unique to that student.

Upon receiving a completed Petition for Financial Aid Reinstatement Form from the student, the student’s academic dean (or designee) may recommend a waiver of satisfactory academic progress criteria due to special circumstances detailed on the petition form. If the petition is denied, the Director of Student Financial Aid Services will review the recommendation and make the final determination of whether to waive the suspension for the student. The decision of the academic college and the Director of Student Financial Aid Services may be appealed to the Student Financial Aid Committee, and their decision may be appealed to the Administrative Hearing Board.

If the petition is granted, the suspension will be waived for one term and all federal financial aid/eligibility will be reinstated unless the Academic Plan section of the Petition for Financial Aid Reinstatement form has been completed to encompass multiple terms.

Veterans' Benefits for Educational Assistance

The Office of Veteran Affairs assists veterans, dependents, reservists, and national guardsmen who are eligible for educational benefits through the Veterans Administration. Students expecting to receive veteran's benefits must apply for benefits and should contact the Office of Veteran Affairs at least six weeks before the beginning of each semester.

To qualify for payments, all veterans must be released under honorable conditions. To receive full benefits, a veteran must be pursuing an approved course of study leading to a degree or other professional objective. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must carry 12 credits or the equivalent, and graduate students must carry 9 credits or the equivalent (see regulation O-1).

An advisory service is available to veterans and additional information, advice on benefits, or application forms may be obtained by writing to the veterans' advisor in the Office of the Dean of Students, PO Box 442431, Moscow ID 83844-2431, (208-885-7979); or online at